What is Web Hosting?
Web hosting is a service that is intended to provide space on the internet for people to show their products and services to the world through a website. This website will be online and accessible 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Web hosting makes this possible through the help of web servers. The web servers are like apartments and the websites are the tenants.
Web hosting may sound expensive since you will have your own website that is accessible everyday anytime of the day to millions of people worldwide. The truth is, there are different types of web hosting and it is even possible to acquire a free web hosting service from a company, especially if you own a small website that does not require a lot of people visiting it every day. There are also web hosting services that can cost hundreds of dollars per year, and this type of web hosting service has added features and tools that are necessary to make the website a success.
Benefits of Hosting your Small Business Website
Most of the big and successful companies worldwide have a website that is accessible to its consumers. Their websites contain the company’s profile, the products and services they provide and their contact information. Some websites would even allow the consumers to purchase the products and services right on the website, making it a good way to increase the sales of the company and lessen the hassle of the consumer.
There are numerous benefits to owning a website and making it available online, however most small business owners are hesitant to get one. There are a lot of reasons why they won’t get a web hosting service.
Here is a list of the benefits of hosting a small business website.
- Increased visibility – most small businesses aim to expand their market and become known to the buying consumer. Owning a website can help make this dream a reality since the website will be available to a number of people around the world. Most people are also relying on the power of the internet to search for certain products and services available near them.
- Increased sales – owning a website could also mean increase in sales for your small business. A lot of people will know that your company exists and if they like your products and services they will surely buy them.
What to Look for in a Web Host Company?
If you are searching for a web host company that can help you achieve your goals of increasing your company’s visibility and sales with the help of a website, then there are things that you must consider.
- Speed and Reliability – your web host company should be able to provide a good speed access of your website. It should guarantee at least 99% uptime of your website. This ensures that your website is visible and accessible almost all the time.
- Bandwidth – this is the amount of data transfer from your website to your visitors. There are different web host companies that offer unlimited bandwidth, but you must check the policies of such offers to make sure that there are no hidden charges. One basis for the bandwidth that you can get for small businesses would be at least 3GB.
- Disk space – you also need to check the disk space offered by web host companies since most will offer unlimited disk space. You need to be aware that most websites only use at least 10MB for the disk space.
- Technical support – the company should provide technical support that are available 24/7. They should also be technically competent and readily available to help their clients.
- Price – the price of the service will usually depend on the features that you can get from it. You also need to check whether you need to pay monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually.
- Control Panel – this allows you to manage the settings of your website and should include the basic tasks such as changing your password, add, delete and manage the email addresses.
- Other useful applications – FTP, PHP, Perl, SSI, telnet, .htaccess, MySQL, SSH and contrabs are some of the applications that should be included when you get a web host service from a company. These applications will allow you to configure your website properly.
What makes Hostgator better than other Web Hosting Companies?
Hostgator is one of the top 10 largest web host company found worldwide. This company has more than 7,000,000 hosted domains worldwide. 24/7 technical support is also provided with over 750 employees ready to help and assist. This company prides itself with its 99.9% uptime guarantee, and the owner can even personally assist their clients whenever they are having issues with their connection and they are not satisfied with the regular support team. 45-day money back guarantee is also offered for each of their web host plan.